Your Go-To Furniture Guide

Buyer's Shopping Guide

From cabriole legs to kick pleat skirts, the world of furniture tends to have its own language. But with the help of our handy furniture glossary, it’s easy to talk the talk so you can shop like a pro.

Cabriole legs: A furniture leg with two curves forming a gentle S shape, as seen in our Vestige accent chest

Diamond tufting: An upholstery treatment in which buttons are sewn through the surface and tied down to create a tailored, diamond-shaped pattern, like the Neeva bed

Grid tufting: Same technique as diamond tufting, only the buttons are arranged to form a square pattern, like the Venus loveseat

Chesterfield sofa: A tufted sofa with upholstered arms, either straight or curving slightly outward, at the same height as the back like the Riviera sofa

Camel back sofa: A sofa or chair style in which the back is raised with a central arch, similar to a camel’s hump, as seen in our Kirkland sofa

Leather and bonded: A combination of leather and bonded leather in which the seats and armrests are covered in leather, and the back and side panels are covered in bonded leather, such as the Orion sectional

Platform bed: A bed with a raised, shallow platform designed to support a mattress, typically without the need for a box spring like the Canyon bed

Nailhead trim: Decorative nails attaching fabric or leather to a frame, sometimes used to create a pattern like the Cabrillo dresser

Inlay: A technique in which woods, metal, mother of pearl, or other materials are inserted to be flush with the furniture surface, often producing a pattern, like the bone inlay used in our Barnsley table

Picture frame molding: Decorative wood molding that resembles the outline of a picture frame, usually on drawer fronts like the Coventry drawer chest

Bombe: A chest with an outward curving shape at the front and sides, which then curves inward at the base, such as the Antigua accent chest

Rolled arms: Sofa or chair arms that flare out and return down to meet the sides, appearing to have been rolled, like the Chelsy sofa

Wingback chair: An upholstered chair with a high back that has angled panels or “wings,” often extending down to the arms as seen in our Wentworth accent chair

Apron: The panel that connects the surface and legs of a table or chair, and is often used to enhance the style, as seen in the Shore end table

Turned legs: A woodworking technique in which “turns” are made by placing wood on a spindle and creating the design as the spindle turns, as seen in the Placid Cove dining table

Welting: A technique in which fabric is used to cover the seam on a cushion, and it can be matching (monochromatic), or contrasting like our Holly sofa

Nesting tables: A set of small tables graduated in size so that they can fit one beneath another, like the Sierra nesting tables

Pedestal table: A table that has a central supporting column or pillar, as seen in our Claire dining table

Kick pleat skirt: A solid, one panel skirt with pleats at the corner, as seen in the Briget accent chair


Read more of our Buyer’s Guide series for helpful tips.

Furniture Shopping Tips